Bakery Square Blog
The Internet search giant Google Inc. said Monday it will become an anchor tenant in a six-story office building planned in the East End’s Bakery Square 2.0 development.
“Google has signed a lease for an additional 66,000 square feet at Bakery Square 2.0 to accommodate for natural growth in our Pittsburgh office,” the company said in a statement.
It said local hiring will continue, but declined to offer specifics.
Bakery Square developer Walnut Capital Partners, based in Shadyside, hopes to begin construction on the office building in March. Google will occupy about a third of the building. Work is expected to take 18 to 24 months and cost at least $40 million.
It is part of more than $100 million in planned development in Bakery Square 2.0. Walnut Capital hasn’t identified other tenants for the office building.
“This really helps kick off Bakery Square 2.0,” said Gregg Perelman, a principal with Walnut Capital.
Google’s expansion on the site of the former Reizenstein Middle School had long been anticipated based on the company’s explosive local growth.
Google, based in Mountain View, Calif., has steadily expanded operations since moving into the original Bakery Square development across Penn Avenue in 2010. Google occupies about 140,000 square feet in Bakery Square while employing more than 300 workers.
The new office building will be connected to the existing one by a three-level pedestrian bridge starting four stories above Penn Avenue.
Added Mayor Bill Peduto: “The city is an international hub for Google. The company is attracting clusters of talented people from around the globe and, with that, comes spinoff companies. Today’s announcement is great news for Pittsburgh.”
Tom Fontaine is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Read more: http://triblive.com/business/headlines/5529819-74/square-bakery-google#ixzz2sNLSLNpP
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Join us on Saturday, December 21st for our 3rd Annual Winter Wonderland event.
- Get your pictures with Santa for kids, families and pets for a suggested donation to Team Tassy.
- Holiday music by DJ J. Malls
- Kids crafts
- Spiked hot cocoa and specialty 21+ beverages from Social
- Shop for last minute gifts at the pop-up holiday marketplace including I Made It! Market and Farm to Table Pittsburgh vendors: Greek Gourmet, Plum Run Winery, Bradley Bay Butter Tarts, Olive Oil & Balsamics, Tea Shop, Happy Family Brands, Young Living Oils, Sugar Social Cupcakes, Pittsburgh Public Market, Mediterranean Baby, Arbonne, Zest Wishes, Chucks Salsa, and more!
- Santa stays for the final Holiday Spirits happy hour at Social! Grown ups will have their chance to get photos with Santa and join in the final Holiday Spirits happy hour where each guest will be able to pull gifts from the grab bag like gift cards to the shops at BKSQ and Social at Bakery Square!
RSVP on Facebook here!
Thrival Festival Brings De La Soul to Bakery Square (link article to the title)
Thrival Fest Highlights Innovative Lineup (link article to the title)
Shovels in the Ground for Another Round: Bakery Square 2.0 (link article to the title)
Officials Break Ground On Bakery Square 2.0 (link article to the title)
Bakery Square 2.0 Will Break Ground, $100 Million Mixed-Use Development (link article to the title)
Officials Announce Plans for Bakery Square 2.0 (link article to the title)
Help families build their libraries by bringing any and all types of books. Bring a book and win a prize! For the kids of all ages, the event will feature games, face-painting, a bubble station, raffle, and more!
We didn’t need BuzzFeed to convince us that Pittsburgh is the best city on the planet, but it’s fantastic to that our love for the Burgh was shared with millions of fans when this post appeared on Saturday, August 3rd 2013 on BuzzFeed.com.
From reasons like fries on our sandwiches to our skyline, click HERE to enjoy this fantastic list.
Join us for BkSq’s Sunday Marketplace August 25th for afternoon of shopping local!
Parking is FREE to all guests in the Bakery Square parking garage. We hope to see you at the Square!